Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Milk & Honey Mask

 I woke up this morning very cheerful, looking forward to today because I had a date with this cute guy that I like. After weeks of come and go he finally got it together and asked me out. So, there I was, entering the bathroom with an idiotic grin on my face when I suddenly saw my reflection in the mirror. Lots of tiny little pimples covered my skin as I realized that I have a severe case of summer acne. Oh, the irony.

In the summer, our skin is more prone to acne because of the high humidity and heat that combined with our makeup create a stopper to our pores. Consequently, the sweat can't get out and if it can't get out, the little b---- decides to erupt like a frickin' volcano. Also, the sunshine combined with seawater and sunblock can also cause an eruption when you least expect it.

So what to do, if this happens? There are a few good anti-acne moisturizers and face wash (try Neutrogena, or Olay) that can help you control and prevent the rash-like condition, but for me, a natural and easy-to-make remedy works wonders. I have mixed skin, with an oily T-zone and dry cheek area, but this mixture manages to dry my oily nose and tone down the redness caused by my zits. Stubborn bastards.

DIY Milk and Honey Mask


Ingredients
- milk (preferably fresh and cold)
- honey
- lemon juice
- yogurt

Mixture
Take all the ingredients and mix them up, stirring until you get a thick lotion. My measurements are usually two tablespoons of milk, two tablespoons of honey, lemon juice from one lemon and one tablespoon of yogurt, but you can more honey and yogurt until the lotion is thick (I'm warning you, if it isn't thick enough it will start drooping from your face onto the floor. And it ain't pretty).

Notes
Before you use this on your face, make sure you aren't allergic to any of the ingredients. Apply a layer on your face and let it partially dry. Then, add another and keep adding until you're out of lotion.  This mask works well on all skin types, and has quick results. What's great about this mixture it that all ingredients play an important role: the lemon juice dries your zits and absorbs the oil and sebum, the milk and yogurt calm and hydrate your skin and the honey takes absorbs all the microbes and dirt into it. It's a win-win situation. When your last layer dried, wash it away with lukewarm water and wipe your face with a soft cloth.

P.S. I still went on that date and it turned out just fine, even with my goddamn acne. Don't stress over your zits too much, they will eventually go away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment